Dog groomers unaware their home was burning down

Firefighters called to an industrial unit found a dog-grooming business in flames, with the owners unaware inside.

Crew at Newton Abbot Fire Station were called to the Ipplepen area at 2:45am this morning (April 17) where they found a property engulfed in flames.

After attempting to catch the attention of residents living inside, they did not receive any response and instead used a sledge hammer to break through the fence and gain entry into the property.

The team then used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire as well as a saw to cut away timber framed decking which the flames were engulfed in.

(Image: Newton Abbot fire station)

But it wasn’t until this point when the people living inside emerged from the house to see what was going on when they discovered there house was in flames.

A spokesperson for Newton Abbot Fire Station said: “At 0245 both crews were mobilised to the Ipplepen area for reports of an industrial unit on fire.

“The industrial unit was in fact a dog grooming business that was in the grounds of a domestic property and was well alight with flames engulfing the entire structure and timber framed decking that it was mounted on.

“Crews forced entry into the grounds by using sledge hammers to knock down the fence after there was no response from the property.

“Crews had to utilise our reciprocating saw in order to cut away the majority of the decking due to the fire spread.

“It was at this stage that the occupants made themselves known to us after they exited their property. As it turned out they were unaware of our attendance and the fire on their property.

“The fire had spread to their house and smoke had entered their property.

“The occupants had no smoke detection in their house.

“Thankfully the fire was spotted by others or this incident could have easily resulted in major injuries or potential death. Its incidents like this that highlight the importance of smoke detection and how useful they can be.

“Before we left we fitted fire alarms in the property so we could provide them with some protection against fires in the future. We would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure they have working smoke alarms and to check them weekly.”

More news from around Devon:

Drinking ‘down the Spinny’ is a great Paignton tradition – and now it’s back

Exeter pub owners forced into early retirement after pandemic drained their bank account

Devon Live