Four pre-season friendlies have been confirmed by Exeter City after of the new season, as the schedule for the 2020/21 campaign becomes clearer.
The Grecians will travel to Bristol Rovers and Tiverton Town, as well as hosting Taunton Town and Truro City at the Cliff Hill training ground, and hope to find a date for a clash with Torquay United.
City were due to travel to Plainmoor on Saturday, September 5, to take on the Gulls, but that date has been allocated for the first round of the EFL Cup in which Matt Taylor’s men will be taking part in.
All of City’s pre-season friendlies will be behind closed doors, but the club is currently sourcing a solution to provide a live stream for the matches.
Taylor’s men will begin their pre-season campaign on Saturday, with a 2pm kick-off away to Bristol Rovers, before hosting Taunton Town on Friday, August 21.
On Tuesday, August 25, the Grecians travel to the Ian Moorcroft Stadium for a 7.30pm kick-off against Tiverton Town, before Truro City visit the training ground on Friday, August 28.
The club also is looking for a new date to the Torquay United fixture that was due to be played on September 5, which will now be the date when the Grecians begin the 2020/21 season, with their first fixture in the EFL Trophy scheduled for September 8/9, with the League Two campaign beginning the following Saturday on September 12.
Sign up to our newsletters for all the latest near you
For more of the latest news, sign up to receive one of our daily or weekly newsletters.
Our daily news email goes out every afternoon and offers a comprehensive overview of the day.
You can also sign up for the weekend report, to receive the top stories on a Saturday morning.
Or if you wanted something more specific, sign up to read our Truro, Exeter and Torbay newsletters.
Choose which newsletters apply to you from across our Devon and Cornwall titles here – so that you can stay informed, stay home and stay safe.
The regular seasons in the Sky Bet Championship, League One and League Two will conclude on 8/9 May 2021, and due to the unprecedented challenges facing the fixture calendar as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and starting six weeks later than usual, there will be 11 midweek fixtures scheduled throughout the season.
The season will culminate in the Sky Bet play-off finals taking place at Wembley Stadium over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend May 29 to 31 2021.
The dates for the 2020/21 Carabao Cup are as follows:
- Round One – 5 September 2020 (alternative dates may apply)
- Round Two – 15/16 September 2020
- Round Three – 22/23 September 2020
- Round Four – 29/30 September 2020
- Round Five – 22/23 December 2020
- Semi-Finals – 5/6 January 2021 (tie to be played at the venue of club drawn out first)
- Final – 28 February 2021
The dates for the 2020/21 EFL Trophy are as follows:
- Matchday 1 – 8/9 September 2020
- Matchday 2 – 6/7 October 2020
- Matchday 3 – 10/11 November 2020
- Round of 32 – 8/9 December 2020
- Round of 16 – 12/13 January 2021
- Quarter-Finals – 2/3 February 2021
- Semi-Finals – 16/17 February 2021
- Final – 14 March 2021
Category One invited clubs taking part in the 2020/21 EFL Trophy competition have now been confirmed and are as follows:
- Aston Villa
- Brighton & Hove Albion
- Leeds United
- Leicester City
- Manchester City
- Manchester United
- Newcastle United
- Norwich City
- West Bromwich Albion
- West Ham United
- Wolverhampton Wanderers
FA Cup replays have also been abolished for the forthcoming season and prize money reduced to 2017-18 levels as a result of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic..
- Extra preliminary round: Tuesday 1 September 2020
- Preliminary round: Saturday 12 September 2020
- First round qualifying: Tuesday 22 September 2020
- Second round qualifying: Saturday 3 October 2020
- Third round qualifying: Tuesday 13 October 2020
- Fourth round qualifying: Saturday 24 October 2020
- First round proper: Saturday 7 November 2020
- Second round proper: Saturday 28 November 2020
- Third round proper: Saturday 9 January 2021
- Fourth round proper: Saturday 23 January 2021
- Fifth round proper: Wednesday 10 February 2021
- Quarter-finals: Saturday 20 March 2021
- Semi-finals: Saturday 17 April 2021
- The Final: Saturday 15 May 2021
The Group Stage draw for the EFL Trophy will take place on Tuesday, August 18, at 1.30pm on TalkSPORT 2, with the draw for the Round One of the EFL Cup to take place on Sky Sports News on the same day at a time to be confirmed.
The 2020/21 Sky Bet EFL fixture schedule will be released on Friday,August 21, at 9am.