Man charged with murder of Lorraine Cox

A man arrested on suspicion of the murder of missing 32-year-old Lorraine Cox has been charged and is due to appear at Exeter Magistrates’ Court on Saturday (September 12) morning.

Lorraine was last seen in the early hours of September 1 in the city centre of Exeter.

On Wednesday, Devon and Cornwall Police launched a murder investigation and arrested three men.

Want to hear more from Devon Live? Sign up to our newsletters here.

On Thursday, they confirmed a fourth man, aged 71, had been arrested and was being questioned on suspicion of murder.

This morning police revealed that two more men – aged 43 and 22 – had also been arrested on suspicion of murder.

This evening Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed that one of the men – 22-year-old Christopher Mayer, of no fixed abode in Exeter, has been charged with Lorraine’s murder. He will remain in custody overnight before being brought before the court on Saturday.

Lorraine Cox went missing in the city centre in the early hours of August 31

The force has said five other men, aged 43, 22, 30, 33 and 71, have all been released on police bail until Wednesday, October 7.

A force spokesperson said: “The family of Lorraine have been kept informed of these updates and are being supported by trained liaison officers.

“They continue to ask for their privacy to be respected at this difficult time.”

Police have centred their investigation on Mary Arches Street in Exeter city centre.

Devon Live