People told to stay indoors as electric flashes shoot off pylon

People living in parts of Devon were urged to stay inside their homes last night after electricity was seen flashing from a pylon.

Newton Abbot Fire Station posted on Facebook about the incident that took place near the villages of Ogwell and Denbury at around 10pm on Saturday night (February 13).

The post said that the crew was dispatched following reports of a fire in an electrical installation.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found a pylon in a garden arcing off, emitting flashes of blue light and sending surges of electricity down the power lines.

“Due to the nature of this incident, minimal amounts of crew were sent into the risk area in order to tell people to stay in their homes and not come out until the incident had been resolved, for risk of being electrocuted should the power lines fall,” the Facebook post said.

You can stay up to date on the top news near you with DevonLive’s FREE newsletters – enter your email address at the top of the page.

“Upon receipt of the 999 call our control room had contacted Western Power to attend and isolate the supply.

“Crews remained on scene and secured the area until the power had been isolated.”

Newton Abbot’s firefighters added that the crew does have specialist equipment – including electrical gloves, which they shared a picture of – which they can use in call outs like this.

Electrical gloves which firefighters use to deal with incidents involving electricity
Electrical gloves which firefighters use to deal with incidents involving electricity
(Image: Newton Abbot Fire Station/Facebook)

Firefighters said: “Although incident commanders will almost always choose to isolate the power supply or await the arrival of Western Power, the need may arise for crews to perform a rescue from and electrical site in order to save life.

“If this is something our crews need to undertake we are equipped with electrical gloves on our appliances which allow us to handle power cables up to 1000 V AC or 1500 V DC.”

Western Power Distribution has been contacted for further details about the incident.

Devon Live