Two people treated after three fire engines rush to flat blaze

Two people have been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a Torquay flat.

The blaze was reported to the emergency services just after 6.20pm this afternoon.

Three fire engines attended the scene.

A spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “Three fire appliances, two from Torquay and one from Paignton, were called to a fire in a flat in Torquay.

“Crews confirmed there to be a fire involving a chip pan and smoke was issuing from the property on arrival.

“Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet, one safety jet, a thermal imaging camera and positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire.

“Two casualties suffering from smoke inhalation were treated on scene by ambulance service.”

Stay in the know

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

Devon Live